What is Journaling?
Journaling is the practice of writing down your thoughts, feelings, and experiences in a diary or notebook.
For new mums, journaling can have many benefits for mental health. It can help reduce stress and anxiety by providing a safe space to express emotions and process the challenges of motherhood.
Additionally, it can create a record of special moments and milestones during this important time.
The Benefits of Journaling
- Improved mental clarity and focus
- Increased self-awareness and self-esteem
- Reduced stress and anxiety
- Improved memory and communication skills
- Enhanced creativity and problem-solving abilities
- Improved overall emotional well-being
- Greater ability to set and achieve goals
- Improved sleep quality
- Increased mindfulness and gratitude
- Improved immune system function.
Your journal is for your eyes only – Write about whatever comes to mind, without worrying about grammar or structure
Remember, journaling is a personal practice, so be honest and allow yourself to express your emotions freely.
Where to Start
To begin journaling, start by setting aside time each day to write
Choose a private and comfortable space where you can reflect on your thoughts and feelings.
A journaling prompt is a question or statement that serves as a starting point for your writing in your journal.
It can help you gain insight into your thoughts, emotions, and experiences by providing a specific topic to reflect upon.
Using prompts can also help you overcome writer’s block and stimulate creativity.
Here are some prompts to get you started!
- What do you need right now more than anything else?
- Write an uplifting message to your future self
- What are 3 things you are grateful for?
- What are the things that worry you? And what can you do to let them go?
- What self-care have you done today?
- What makes you feel happy and relaxed?
- What food nourishes you?
- What is most important to you?
- What is overwhelming you?
- Have you been outside today? How did it make you feel?