Weaning Wednesday – Dips!
This week, we thought we would share three easy veggie dips that would be suitable for babies aged 6 months+
Dips are a great way to explore new flavours, especially in the form of herbs and spices! And they are a great way to introduce family eating as well! Dips are suitable from 6 months+ and can be adapted and used in differently depending on the age of your child (see bottom for serving suggestions).
For those who are weaning on purées, this is a great way to move along the textures and tastes. It’s also a fun way to start introducing finger foods (such as vegetables or toast) where they can hold the pieces in their hands, but still have the purée texture that they are used to
Pea & Mint Dip
I cup of peas, cooked & cooled
1 handful of mint
2 large tbsp crèche fraîche
Place all the ingredients into a blender until you get a smooth consistency.
As your baby gets older, add a little squeeze of lemon!
2 carrots, chopped and cooked
1 tin of chickpeas, drained (reserve some of the water)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp tahini (optional, please be aware of sesame as an allergen)
1/2 tsp ground cumin (optional)
Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz until smooth. Add a little of the chickpea water to loosen the mixture if too thick.
1 cooked beetroot
1 tin butter beans, drained (reserve some of the water)
Handful of mint
Follow the same process as with the carrot hummus.
Babies 6 months+
- With crudités - raw or cooked vegetables, cut into strips large enough for your baby to hold in their fist. We love cucumber, peppers, carrots and green beans!
- Bread based products - bread/toast, crumpets, English muffins, pitta
- Pitta pockets or tortilla wraps - spread the dip onto these and then chop into pinwheels or strips
For older babies, toddlers & children:
- Quesadillas - spread onto a tortilla, add other ingredients (vegetables, chicken, cheese) and fry gently in a frying pan. Cut into triangles
- Serve as a dip alongside a meal
Please tag us in your photos on Instagram if you make any of these dips! We’d love to see how your baby enjoys them and the ways in which you serve them!